Sunday 31 January 2010

Moving on

Well that's January over and done. It seemed to fly by although there wasn't much opportunity to get out and play. Progress was hampered by the big snowfall at the start of the month. I was due to play this weekend but there were temporary greens on every hole and the ground was rock hard meaning that everything would have been a lottery. I opted for a range session yesterday and today.

Yesterday was one of those. Sheer frustration. I know what I'm trying to do and what I want to achieve but had no real idea where the club was at any stage in my swing. It was out of sequence, the tempo was lousy and the technique lacking. Not a happy camper. Today was better in patches. I felt as though I'd been swinging too much with the arms instead of swinging the arms, turning and releasing through. Some improvement but all that work I'd done at the start of the month on tempo has completely deserted me.

Rather than self diagnose I've booked a lesson for Tuesday evening. My usual teacher is out of action following a knee operation so I'm going for a lesson with another pro at the driving range I know. I had a lesson with him to cure the dreaded J Arthurs before Christmas so he knows a bit about my swing, my aims for the year and what has been going wrong. He also does a lot of work on the mental side and I was going to use him later in the season for some mental training anyway.

And there we have it. Only two full rounds played. One competition entered and a 2nd place finish. No handicap changes and a swing that still won't behave. At least we're closer to the long nights and warmer weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...