Monday 11 January 2010

Snow Good For Anything

This is getting silly. It's been a week now since my lesson and I've only had one range session to try and implement the changes. Things are so bad I've even found myself in places like Currys and Sainsbury's with the wife. Couldn't even use the "sorry got to work on the new swing" get out of jail card.

Still it has given me a chance to get to grips with my Christmas pressie from HID. She got me the Pathfinder Putting System
http://www.improvemygolf.co.uk/acatalog/Pathfinder_Putting_System.html which basically is a foolproof way of telling whether you take the putter back and through properly using magnetic pegs. And what did I learn? Well as I mentioned on the Golf Monthly forum (http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk//showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/187701/an/0/page/0#187701) I tend to have a loop and hit the outside back pin but then manage to go through straight. General consensus seems to be that a) its probably just my natural style, b) if I'm holing out well then why worry c) I'm thinking way too much about it. The really annoying and frustrating bit is that if I take the troublesome pin out I putt great and rarely hit any others.

The cold freeze has given me a chance to peruse the internet. Several things worth looking at blog wise. Two guys who are definitely up for a challenge are striving to get from 28 to scratch in five years or less and are charting their progress. Can it be done? Well if you log onto
http://www.projectscratch.co.uk/ you'll be able to see for yourself.

Another guy by the name Nick Swan from Hampshire has eyes on the Club Championship this year having come oh so close in 2009. He also wants to get down to a 5 handicap in the process and is blog
http://www.golftribe.com/Default.aspx is full of advice, plans, and golfing titbits.

Finally, I've started to get back into some reading. Golf related as you'd expect. I've been reading Dr Bob Rotella's books including "Your 15th Club" and "Putting out of your mind".



As you'd expect from someone that Padraig Harrington acknowledges helped him become a three time major winner, there is some really good stuff in there and its explained in a way that makes perfect sense even to me. If only I could get out and put some of it into practice. I'm waiting on the postman to deliver Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book" which has received some glowing praise from the wise old heads on the Golf Monthly Forum. Once it arrives and I get a chance to digest it I'll report back.

I hope wherever you are the snow is finally beginning to thaw and we can all get out and enjoy a game again soon. In the meantime do what you can to keep the golfing boredom at bay and whatever else you do - don't get sucked into the supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...