Friday 22 October 2010

Firmer Footing

As I alluded too in my previous post, golf is on hold. The timing is bloody frustrating as I had a lesson last night with Paul Harrison from N1 Golf, at the Maidenhead Golf Centre. I'd been looking at stopping the impact position I've had for years which is very much under and away from the ball and looking to get a much more athletic and powerful "on top of the ball" position at impact.

We worked on the David Leadbitter 8 o'clock position taking the club back with the arm until the shoulder has to start moving (rather than the shoulder dictating the swing) and then making the turn. On the way down I needed to feel my right foot come off the ground and looking for a straight arm position with the left arm in line with my left thigh at impact. This effectively gets me much more on top of the shot and squeezing down and compressing the shot giving more power with less effort.

The old swing has a feeling of the hips sliding and dropping (almost a reverse C position) but we're looking now at the hips turning out of the way on the way down and being a lot more level.

I've got a couple of drills to work on which will be useful as I can't see me getting out onto the course for a while with everything else going on. If I can get the drills to become second nature and hopefully still get some range time I'm hopeful I can come back with a much better swing. I know we have had these false dawns before but sometimes you can walk away from a lesson and just know that what you've been shown is a) the right thing for your game b) can be obtained through practice and c) will be a long term fix and bot a quick cure.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...