Sunday 28 February 2010

Weapons of grass destruction

I've acquired a shiny new set of clubs this week. Having had my heart set on them last year and failing to hit them well at a demo day they were well and truely put on the back burner. However with my recent swing changes starting to show signs of gelling I've taken the plunge. My new weapons of choice are the Taylormade Tour Preferred irons. I've gone for 4-PW with regular R300 shafts.


They aren't the latest offerings out there but I really like the smaller head and thinner top line. They have been bought as an experiment but I got a really, really good deal on them so if the plan doesn't work out I still have my R9's to fall back on and I'll more than cover my outlay if I sell them.

I managed to get out for nine holes yesterday (front nine at Royal Ascot) and broke them in. I actually hit them pretty well especially the PW. I've only used it twice and hit the green with the first shot (to about 15 feet) and then chipped in from off the front of the 9th. With the exception of one poor tee shot at the 6th I struck the ball really well and my short game in particular was pretty sharp. I've had to take the new clubs into the pro to be regripped as they are fractionally too thin for me but once I pick them up midweek I'll be off to the range on a getting to know you session.

I think the bag is more or less set now. I am looking at getting some new shoes (my real weakness) and have my eyes on some black and white Footjoys. I'm also tempted to get jiggy with the Myjoy site where you can design your own Footjoy shoes. I fancy a snazzy pair of black patents. I'm also keeping a beady eye out for the new season golfing shirts too so I can update my wardrobe. I've seen some very trendy looking Footjoy shirts that I'm keen on but may wait and see what Adidas come out with. Vain. Moi?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...