Wednesday 10 February 2010

Chipping Away

Just back from a chipping lesson which will hopefully invigorate my ailing short game. In essence the ball position had gone way too far back, my address with my shoulders was closed and I wasn't keeping the weight forward. Apart from that it wasn't in bad shape.

I've a new posture and moved the ball to a much better position but I'm still struggling to get rid of the tendency to get the weight moving back (almost wanting to scoop it) but I've a couple of drills which should help. I spent about thirty minutes working on it afterwards with mixed results. It's still a work in transition and I'm not how much was down to the wet conditions and the freezing cold not letting me focus on what I was trying to do.

I went to a local driving range called Lavender Park in Ascot as they were recommended by a member of my club. It was reasonably priced at £22.50 for 45 minutes but I'm not sure the pro has really cured me and I certainly didn't get all of what he was trying to get over to me. It should be enough to give me something to work on until my usual teaching pro recovers from his surgery and can only lift my short game from its current depths.

1 comment:

  1. A pretty common old drill, if you're not already aware of it, is to practice pitching and chipping with a glove tucked under each arm. If your arms get loose and independant of the body (causing duffs), one or other of the gloves will drop to the ground. By holding them in place you'll get the right feeling of your spine as the fulcrum, and your shoulders and arms working as a more solid triangle from it.

    It's helped me no end, and I keep coming back to it.

    ReplyDelete

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...