Sunday 21 February 2010

It's all in the timing

Started thinking about this blog this morning while sitting in my favourite chair in the 19th with a nice warm latte and watching the parade of umbrellas stretch into the distance down the 2nd. It was suppose to be our 4ball better ball today and I was due out at 9.50am. By the time I was ready to leave the house at 8.30 it was already throwing it down and the sky looked more grim than the face Tiger Woods mother had during his choreographed plea for abosolution.

By the time the froth had gone from the coffee, the 18th was already flooding and the thought of leaving the sanctuary of the clubhouse for four hours as a mudlark was not enticing. However salvation was forthcoming as the greenstaff fired off the klaxon to suspend play about 9.30. Our resident RAF weather expert, ex captain and former secretary Norman Barker had been tracking the deluge on the fly boys internet site and predicted it would blow over by 10.00 and was trying to just get a suspension (it actually stopped at 10.16). However the greens were actually still frozen under the surface and the water had nowhere to go.

I must admit to a machiavellian chuckle as I watched the beaten and bedraggled trudge back towards sanctuary. A quick chat between Captain and greenkeeper and the event was postponed until next Sunday and it was totally the right decision. Well I would say that, warm and dry and just finishing the remainder of my coffee.

Actually I was really up for today. It was the first pairs event my mate Hywel and I were playing in since he joined me at Royal Ascot. We played yesterday and although all the greens were on temporary's and the course was very, very wet in places we were both hitting it well especially Hywel with his new Nike driver. He actually bombed one down the 16th which was about 280 yards and plugged on landing. That's just rude. I was my normal up and down self but was making much better contact with all my shots and even the dodgy short game was in temporary rehab.

It seems this blog is getting a bit of a following and I'd like to thank everyone who's been on here and read the ramblings of a golfing idiot, particularly the Royal Ascot members (pass it on) and those who've taken the trouble to become a follower. It is a little disconcerting when random pros or strangers approach you at the range and want to chat to you about it but I hope you'll continue to chart my progress as 2010 heads towards sunnier and warmer weather. I'm off now to unpack my waterproofs (unused) and watch the final of the Accenture. It's good to see the biblical deluge we endured today can even happen in the Arizona desert but what I want to know is where were the teams with mops to keep our greens playable?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...