Saturday 6 August 2011

The Three T's

After the glory of winning at St Pierre it was back to Royal Ascot today for the usual Saturday morning roll up. I haven't hit a ball since Tuesday's triumph and to be honest it showed. Timing was out, tempo was out and technique was lacking. I managed to nobble it around in an almost respectable 31 points and to be honest the putter was stone cold which may have cost a couple of points but to be honest it was about all I deserved.

I just couldn't get anything going at all. The tempo seemed very quick and the swing felt dreadful and I could feel the hips sliding and not turning especially on the drives which were pretty poor all day long bar one on the par four 14th which was the best of the day. I actually played the hole pretty well. The drive finished near the two big trees on the fairway and with the flag tucked close to the bunker front right and with little to lose I decided to try and hit a little fade in. I took a four iron from 178 yards which on reflection was always too much club. However I pulled the shot off to perfection and it shimmied left to right in the air perfectly. However it was too long and ran to the back fringe. On the plus side the short game was working better and I chipped to within four feet but the putter refused to work and I couldn't save par but made a solid five (nett par) for two points.

The timing was an issue too. Aligned to the quick tempo and the hip slide, I had a real issue trying to get the club back square and even managed a stone cold shank on the 10th from the right edge of the fairway for a lost ball and an ugly double bogey.

I'm hoping today was an aberration as it's the monthly medal tomorrow and I'm right on the cusp of going back to a 14 handicap which I'm not overly thrilled about. Hopefully today will have shaken some of the dust off the swing and it'll feel better tomorrow. I sincerely hope so as today won't live long in the memory. How fickle this game can be. Hero on Tuesday and back to a club chopper today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...