Wednesday 3 August 2011

On The Tourist Trail

I was due to play in the Golf Monthly Centenary Golf Event in St Pierre in Chepstow yesterday (Tuesday August 2nd) and decided to go down a day early with the wife and have a bit of a mini break. It's only a two hour trip and once you're over the Severn Bridge you are in Chepstow and St Pierre is a short ten minute drive away. It's a Marriott resort and has two courses, the Old and the Mathern. I was playing the Old which has hosted some famous pro events including a Solheim Cup and my hero Seve has played and won on the hallowed turf.

We booked into a lovely AA four star B&B called the Parva Farmhouse situated at the far end of the village of Parva itself. The room was pretty with a four poster bed (yes I'm still a romantic at heart) and set fifty yards from the River Wye. It's a glorious location and they offer an a la carte evening menu. We took full advantage. My lovely wife had a piquant chicken and seasonal vegetables. The chili sauce was fantastic with a hint of heat and the chicken was really tender. I went for the lamb liver in marsala sauce and the veg and again it was top quality. We both went for the home made apple crumble and custard and the portion was generous and it was to die for.

We walked it off with a stroll along the river. This part of the world is beautiful and we were less than a mile from the famous Tintern Abbey.

The River Wye from the hotel
I'm not a huge fan of spending hours in a car before playing golf and so the early arrival suited me to the ground. I've got some brownie points in the bag and we've had a marvellous relaxing time. As for the golf, well you'll just have to wait and see. 

Tintern Abbey
All I would say is that there are plenty of decent courses in this neck of the wood and St Pierre is well worth playing. I'm back chilled and relaxed and with a tale to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...