Sunday 27 February 2011

Busy Doing Nothing

I had said yesterday that I'd throw myself into the huge roll up going out this morning and finally put into practice everything I'd worked so hard at the range to achieve. The truth was that the early morning alarm call came and went and I couldn't be bothered. Given the state of the front nine when I played in the Saturday greedy and the fact that the back nine is lower lying and so more prone to not draining, added to the fact that it didn't stop raining until late into the afternoon yesterday I thought the course would be pretty well sodden and hardly conducive to good golf.

It is rare for me not to go and play and even more so not to put a practice session in if I don't fancy a round. Today I did neither. Some on the Golf Monthly Forum have questioned how I can put all the effort in and not improve and maybe (whisper it quietly) they may be right. Everyone says I have a decent swing, even my partners yesterday in the rain. Maybe the problem really is I'm trying to search for perfection when adequacy will do.The truth is I probably just don't trust the swing enough to just stand there and hit it, and I'm always waiting for the moment when the wheels come off, which is either an opening shot out of bounds on the first or into the environmental area off the tee on the third on current form.

The short game does require work. I've alluded to that for a while now but want to wait until practice greens around and about are conducive to some hard work and will bounce and react properly instead of either being tined and sanded or a boggy mire.

I did manage to get something golf related into the day though. I managed to pick up some new 2011 Footjoy gloves in various colours to match my wardrobe of co-ordinated golfing attire and shoe ensemble coming to adorn a fairway near you soon. The withdrawal bug didn't last too long.

The forecast looks reasonable for the next few days if pretty nippy again. I have a diabetic eye test on Wednesday where I have some drops put in my eyes and X-rays taken. It makes the pupils dilate and does make it hard to bear bright lights or focus too well for a few hours but I'm hoping the effects will wear off enough to let me knock it around in the afternoon or as a worse case scenario hit some balls somewhere.

It really was a lazy Sunday busy doing nothing. I can't say I'd like to get use to them but it did make a refreshing change. In golfing terms, perhaps less is more.

1 comment:

  1. Personally I would say it isn't about how MUCH you play and practice but just HOW you go about it. From reading the blog it's more of a quest for technical perfection than whacking the thing in the hole and having a damn good time while you're at it. You're too hard on yourself when you make mistakes and don't praise yourself sufficiently when you play well. I seriously think if you dedicated the majority of your practice time to chipping & putting and did both without technical training aids you'd be flying. I've started playing more for fun recently and there is no surprise that I'm playing better. Whatever you decide I hope you recapture your enjoyment, as after all isn't that why we all play? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...