Sunday 6 February 2011

Back For More

It was hard going in gale force winds yesterday and the weather was the same today. What's a guy to do? I could have done chores, gone shopping with the wife or spent a couple of hours bashing balls at the range looking for the golf swing I seem to have carelessly misplaced. In the end it was a no brainer. Get back on the horse, go out and play.

I played with Martin Davis (Bash) and his nephew Matt who are two of the biggest bandits since Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Bash has seen his handicap tumble in the last six months and seems to be getting a second income in pro shop vouchers and Matt is never a twenty something handicap with that swing. On a bad day 36 points is a major disappointment to him and when he's on form I'd have to play sub-par round to even compete. Suffice to say we didn't have anything on the outcome.

The wind was as strong as yesterday but thankfully coming from the same direction otherwise that would have made life really interesting. Having played yesterday at least we had a clue what to do. Sadly my game hadn't metamorphosed overnight and I played rubbish early on. I hit a horror second on the 2nd. I'm not sure if it was a slice, block or part shank but whatever type of contact it was it went right and out of bounds. One point after two holes. I wonder if B&Q is open yet?

It did get better. I put an old putter in the bag, replacing my Odyssey White Ice #9 with my Taylormade Rossa. It soon warmed up and I made a great putt from 8 feet at the 5th for a par. After an outrageous lucky bounce prevented my tee shot going out of bounds left on the 7th I chipped on to about 10 feet and canned a downhill left to right putt for a par. The wind was still blowing a real hoolie. I stood on the 8th tee (139 yards) and wasn't sure what to do. I'd hit 6 iron in the stableford yesterday. The wind was into the face but also blowing across from right to left. In a moment of rare clarity, I realised the only real way to play the hole was to treat it like a links hole and play a low 3/4 punch. Now I can't remember the last time I tried one of these shots let alone ever practicing it and so the odds were not high on me pulling it off. Well blow me down with a feather and call me Fred, I struck it beautifully. I never got more than fifteen feet off the ground and cleared the front bunker, pitched on the front and rolled to a stop about twelve feet away. I even managed to two putt for par!

I had 15 points going out so was actually a shot better off than yesterday. As usual Bash and Matt were cruising and both were under their (dubious) handicaps. Do the Davis clan have no shame? I started the back nine quite well until I came to a grinding stop after a poor tee shot at the 12th. Nil point there. I wasn't hitting the ball great at all and to be honest had no control over the swing or any real idea where the ball was going. I frittered a few shots aways in between the odd encouraging good strike and the odd duff (usually a chip - are you surprised?). I finished with a whimper and saved my worse tee shot until the 18th. I never fancied it all the time I stood over it and so the ugly high slice was no surprise when it came. I had the opportunity to still get a point but that hope vanished when I missed the green with the approach shot. A weak chip and two putts for a nice snowman (8) to put on the card. Twelve points back gave me another 27 point haul to add to the one  got yesterday.

Butch and Sundance both played under their handicaps without ever breaking sweat. I feel much more disappointed about the way I played today than I did about yesterdays performance. The short game crucified me again and zapped any waining confidence I had about my ability. I feel so pressurised to hit fairways to give me a chance to hit greens and not have to chip. The swing isn't firing anyway and it's inevitable that I make mistakes.

I'm trying desperately to just hit it and not think it. I am standing over chips with a head devoid of any swing thoughts or mechanics but I can't execute. It's the same with the irons and woods. I am picking the club, taking aim and firing and trusting the swing. It's the bloody swing that isn't working.

If the winds die down I'll hit the range midweek and have another go. It isn't far away. Failing that I'll get my teaching pro Paul Harrison at Maidenhead Golf Centre to give me the once over. After that we tackle the short game nemesis. Get that sorted and I'm pot hunting big time and getting my handicap down to where it should be. I'm coming back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...