Saturday 26 February 2011

What's The Point?

I went to the range last night and hit the ball really well and so the golfing juices were salivating in anticipation of the normal Saturday morning roll-up and I felt this could be my day. The feeling was tempered by the heavy drizzle I saw through the murky dawn and it was still falling when we got out onto the tee. After the draw was made in time honoured tradition by pulling balls from a hat we were off.

I started off reasonably and made nett pars at the opening two holes. However I had a golfing meltdown at the third and picked up long before the green was in sight. In a way I was fortunate as it started to empty down and it gave me a chance to chuck the waterproofs on. I made a good par courtesy of a left to right eight footer at the 4th and finally strung three good shots together at the 5th but three putted. I pulled the tee shot at the next but played a gem of a chip from the rough to about three foot but over-borrowed the putt and missed it for the par.

I pulled the drive at the next and my second left me a long way short. I hit a good wedge in to about ten feet and managed to coax the downhiller in via the side door for an unlikely par. By the time we got to the 8th it was getting tough. I didn't have a spare towel and everything was starting to get really wet. I missed the green left and thinned my chip. It was heading right off the other side but hit the flag and stopped about four feet away. I didn't have the front to make the putt for par (ok I pushed it).

I wasn't enjoying the conditions or the game. The company was great fun and the banter was flying but I couldn't get the golfing brain working. When I swung my driver on the 9th tee it nearly flew from my grip. All my clubs were soaked and event he rain glove wasn't making a difference. I was so far right off the tee I was in a bunker on the 18th and my recovery only found the ditch on the 9th some 130 yards short of the green. I took a penalty drop and my fourth was short and right. Another mediocre chip left a long twelve footer and even though I knocked it in with aplomb for me enough was enough.

I retired along with two others in the group leaving my old Scottish mucker Billy to tag onto the threeball behind. I couldn't see the point putting myself through another nine holes when the heart wasn't in it and the lure of a sausage baguette and coffee was too much. It's very rare for me not to carry on but I really wasn't up for it. It's suppose to be enjoyment and this wasn't

On the plus side I had ordered a snazzy pair of Footjoy Icon shoes and customised them using their Myjoy service and they had turned up. Ali in the shop had done me a fantastic price on them and all I need now is some dry weather to break them in.



As I was home early the wife was making noises about looking at paints to do up the bedrooms after lunch. With no decent football or other sport on to offer any sort of protection against Homebase I did what any man would do and decided to hit the range. I wasn't swinging as well as yesterday but it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure the swing is there though and it's the problem I have on the course. I can't trust it and so never make a committed swing. Some progress I guess and it built on yesterday until I started to get over tired when it started to go to pot again.

There is a big roll up going out tomorrow. We've inherited 20+ members from Laleham Golf Club (I think) and the normal Sunday greedie are taking them on or so my mate Bash tells me. I fancy a game to make up for today and I'm hoping there will be a spot for me to inflict my game on the newbies. If not I'll hang around and practice.

So all in all a mixed day and still something to look forward to tomorrow. I just hope I can get everything dry in time and the wife will stop moaning about the mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...