Wednesday 2 March 2011

My Brain Is Sore (And My Eyes)

I'm a diabetic and as a result have to undergo an annual eye check up. It basically involves drops being inserted into each eye to enlarge the pupil and an X-ray of the back of the eye. The problem is the effects of the drops can last three to four hours and make focusing difficult hence the reason I took the day off. I went back to bed initially but by lunchtime the sun was out and I was itching for a game.

I knew the sight hadn't fully recovered but boy did it look weird in the glare of the sunlight looking down at a bright white sphere against a green backdrop. I was going to use it as an excuse but I wanted to play some holes to try and get myself to trust the work I've done at the range and believe that the swing works and is sufficient.

Against all odds my tee shot at the first was great (the whites were moved way forward onto the daily tee box) and the 4 iron finished just shy. I duffed the chip (which would become a recurring theme) but made a nett par. I was just short of the second (par 5) in three and duffed a chip there as well. As many of you will know the third has become a nemesis hole with the last four drives landing in the environmental area. I don't know for sure if the dodgy mince pies were making me swing in a better rhythm or I was just playing well bit today I hit a great drive. Granted the approach was ordinary and short and the chip only functional but another nett par was in the bag. I hit a woeful drive on the 4th to the right and pulled my approach. The chip barely made the green and so it was an opportune moment for the putter to start working and the fifteen foot putt saved par.

The ball striking on the front nine on the whole was good. I played on my own and so didn't know if I was more relaxed but everything did seem to slot into place. Had I had a short game of any description I'd probably have come close to my handicap. However a dropped point at the 6th after failing to convert a tasty bunker shot from the right hand trap was followed by another at the 8th where I missed the green left. I hit a horror drive at the 9th smothering it low and left and having laid up short of the ditch compounded the problem by missing the green right into sand. A woeful six meant I was out in 15 points.

At this point I met Bash and Colin from our Saturday swindle and they joined me on the back nine. Let's just say none of us set the golfing world alight. I started off steadily down 10 but then had a real bad run of single point holes from the 11th through to the 15th. I did make a good five at the 16th with a good drive and second shot to the edge of the green but again the short game didn't give me a chance to make a putt. I hit the green on the 17th but like the 1st it had been moved to daily tee box and so knocked forty yards of the shot. I hit two reasonable shots down the 18th and missed the green left with my approach. I chipped on again and made a six (nett par to finish).

So what did we learn. Well firstly playing with eyes that can't focus or react to bright light isn't an intelligent idea and it hurts and makes looking for your shot as you hit it very difficult. Secondly I am very close to wrapping a wedge around something hard very soon in frustration at my chipping inadequacies and lack of technique. The more I think the poorer it gets. If I don't think I don't focus and so don't perform. Its a circle of misery and I need to break the chain very, very soon.

On the plus side there were still signs of improvement and when I didn't think too much the swing does flow. What I'm getting at is that it's all in my head. How we get it out or quieten the nagging voices of doubt (as appropriate) is the big question. If I can get the mental side right akin to a short game lesson and we are going to be a contender soon. The irons are good and the putter is warming up nicely. At the end of the day though it was nice to get out. The course has dried magnificently since the deluge over the weekend and was in decent condition.

It wasn't to be in the end and a front nine that promised something ultimately gave me nothing but more issues surrounding the short game and my inability to think clearly and to execute. It is a conundrum and I know (as well as everyone telling me) that I probably think way too much about it. It is stopping this thought process that's the issue. However what can you do. I can't tell my playing partners it's the voices in my head or the men in white coats will be waiting by the 18th green.

Off for a lie down and to cogitate on the problem further.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...