Wednesday 23 June 2010

A Real Challenge

OK here's a question for you all. What do you do when you've got an acute dose of the shanks and can't get the ball anywhere near a fairway or green? The answer is agree to play in the Macmillan Cancer Longest Day Golf Challenge.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Fundraising/Golfevents/LongestDayGolf/LongestDayGolfChallenge.aspx

For the unitiated, this basically involves playing four rounds of golf in one day. No buggies are allowed so you have to walk every step of the way although electric trollies are permitted (if you can get the battery to last four rounds.). Its to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support who provide an invaluable service for those suffering form this wicked and callous disease, and perhaps more importantly give practical support to the families who have to deal with the illness and the affects.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/AboutUs/AboutUsHome.aspx

I did it last year with fellow Royal Ascot member Hywel Lloyd at the Downshire GOlf Club near Wokingham. This year golf is coming home and we're doing it on our own patch.. He's taken the mantle of captain got a team of four from the Golf Monthly Forum to take up the challenge at Royal Ascot Golf Club on Friday July 2nd. It sounds simple. What could be better than playing golf? Well let me tell you that we are starting at approximately 4.30am and don't envisage finishing until 9.00pm. Given the current state of my game I could get through several dozen balls by the end and may need a torch for me to complete the challenge.

Hywel has set up a justgiving page which links into the Macmillan website and I know money is tight but I'd love as many people as possible to give whatever they can spare. I know from practical experience when my father was alive and suffering with cancer just what a help these people really are. Not only are they helping people all over the UK on a day to day basis but they are actively researching into better forms of treatment and ultimately a cure.

http://www.justgiving.com/Hywel-Lloyd

Thank you for your help. Please mention this blog to as many people as you can (what do mean you haven't already). If I can get 50 followers I'm going to put £100 of my own money into the pot too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...