Monday 14 June 2010

Farewell for a Week

Well that's it for another week at Royal Ascot. The course is officially down to twelve holes to accommodate helicopter landings for the racing from tomorrow on. Although the club and course are still open to be brutally honest it's such a battle trying to get anywhere near the place before or after the racing that it makes it a bit of a nonsense and waste of time. The practice ground is shut (coaches parked on it) and so I can't even go and work on my game.

I'm playing in the first round of the Volvo Matchplay, a fourball better ball knockout, regionalised to start with, culminating in area and then nation finals. I'm playing with Hywel (my faithful buddy). We were drawn at home but have had to switch the tie to our opponents club at Maidenhead because of the racing. I've played there a few times so know my way round but the course is hosting their club championships at the weekend so I'm expecting the greens to be uber fast and almost up to professional speeds. It's my birthday (presents and cards can be sent to Royal Ascot Golf Club for my collection) on Wednesday and I've been treated to an Odyssey No 9 putter. I'm tempted to use it on the fast greens but commonsense says to get use to the feel of it first.

I've not been putting well with my old TaylorMade Rossa blade especially on the shorter ones and have had my eye on one of these for a good few months now. I played eighteen holes yesterday afternoon on my own for a bit of practice and early indications are that its going to be a sound investment especially from 3-6 feet. I played pretty well and went out in 20 points. Granted there was no pressure but I struck the ball well. I made a good par at 10 and should really have made a sand save par at 11 but over-thought my stroke with the new stick instead of focusing on the speed and line. I then had a poor run from 13 through to 16 where I only got one point per hole. I hit the green at 17 and then finished with a good par at the last. I didn't swing great coming home and so there is work to be done but I'm hitting the range this week to try and groove something that is repeatable.

On a positive note, there has been some great feedback about the Golf Monthly Forum Day last Wednesday including some excellent comments on the state of the course and the greens in particular and the quality of the food. Many thanks to everyone at the club who helped make it such a success.

And that is it for me at the club until at least the start of next week. I hope the racegoers don't desecrate my second home (aka the practice ground) too much and that the greenkeepers can get out and about with the reduced golf traffic and do whatever they need to do to keep it looking and playing as well as it is. If I find something magical at the range I'll be sure to let you know

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...