Sunday 27 June 2010

The Clouds Are Lifting

Well that was an interesting week. I couldn't hit a ball last Sunday in my Volvo Matchplay at Maidenhead and shanked around 18 holes. There were some positive signs on the practice ground and by Friday I was hitting it pretty well again. How does that happen. However given that my form has been more patchy than the England footballers, I'd already booked a lesson with Steve Cox at Sand Martins courtesy of my wife who works there and pulled a few strings to get a slot and I'd decided that the monthly stableford was a shank fest waiting to happen.

The good news was that although I'd eliminated the shanks over the course of the week, Steve could see immediately the cause and the fact that there was another one around the corner. In essence, my address position had become lazy and I was too hunched over and as a result my weight kept/could move forward during the swing and present the neck of the club to the ball at impact. Having got my position sorted we looked at an old problem of getting the club trapped on the way down. Steve has got me turning much better now and has given me a drill to try and get the club more in front of me as I hit. All I have to do now is quieten the leg action and hip slide and I'm laughing. When I did as I was shown the results were amazing and the contact and direction was pure and straight.

I went to the range this morning to work on what I'd been shown. It was hot, hot, hot and a large bucket was more than enough. I picked up my new Myjoy Icons from Ali (club pro at Royal Ascot) on the way back. They are a rather snazzy and patriotic red, white and blue. They look the business.

I made a conscious decision that I wasn't going to watch the England v Germany game and that I'd go out and try and put my improving (not quite there yet) swing into action on the course. It was stupidly hot but I had the whole place to myself. Bliss and it meant I could try a few things out without fear of holding anyone up.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised when my opening 5 wood with the new swing soared majestically and landed safely on the green for a solid par. It was followed by another at the second and a huge drive (well for me) down the 3rd only left a wedge in. By the time I'd played the 4th I was level par. I hit another great drive down the 5th and my hybrid left me just short in two. The flag was at the back and so I was looking at a simple chip and two putts for par. Of course I proceeded to chunk a chip and then three putted.

I made a good up and down for par at the 6th and then bogied my way to the turn. There were some good strikes but I missed the greens too often and my short game and putting had melted in the blazing sun. I hit another good tee shot at 10 and then pulled a 9 iron left. I three putted the par 3 eleventh. The ball striking was still pretty good but I just couldn't find a way to make a score. I did hit a poor shot at the 13th for a bogey but hit another good drive at the next. I had 152 left slightly downwind. I planned to hit an 8 iron (I usually hit those about 130 yards) and let it bounce on. I must have put a souped up super charged swing on the shot as it sailed over the back!!!!

I managed to lose a ball at 17 courtesy of a snap hook. I was getting very tired by then in the heat and it was a very quick and snatchy effort. I hit another huge hook at the last but found that one although I could only advance it about 100 yards.

At the end of the day (as they say in footballing parlance) it seems I made the right choice to get out and play. Thanks to Steve I've got something solid to work on this week as I prepare to embark on the Macmillan Longest Day Challenge. It really is a great cause and if you're reading this check out the previous blog entry and the link to make a donation. Now if only my putter and my chipping had been anywhere near as hot as the weather then I'd have been a very happy Homer this evening. I just need to trust the new swing and cut out a few silly mistakes and the handicap will start to tumble. It's in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...