Sunday 21 March 2010

Sunshine after rain

I couldn't believe the difference in the weather today. I went to the club mid-morning to work on my ailing short game and start to grooving my putting now the greens are more consistent (not waterlogged or under snow). I was actually surprised how quiet it was. I could easily have wandered out and got a leisurely eighteen holes in without a problem. However the new improved 2010 Homer is more focussed and I planted myself at the putting green.

I had already decided to use a very good practice aid called a V-Easy http://www.v-easy.co.uk/. Basically it's a simple device that fits onto the base of your grip and is designed to keep the wrists and arms quiet in both the putting and chipping stroke. It was invented by a club pro called Bob MacArthur who is based at Martin Moor Golf Club in Lincolnshire. I tried it out indoors last night, much to the chagrin of the wife and it was helping.



It took a little time to get to grips with it as my address position still wasn't as it had been after my recent lesson but once I'd got myself into a much better set up the V-Easy made it simple to just rock the shoulders and arms back and through. There was a pleasing click on every shot as it made good, solid contact.

It was warm work and I was actually in shirt sleeves! It didn't take long before I removed the stabilisers and rode solo. Immediately self-doubt and confusion crept back in. Those familiar chunked and thinned shots were sending the balls to all parts of the putting green. Fortunately I was alone and there weren't too many passing strangers coming off the ninth to witness my pain. In the end though it got better and better. I am now back in a happy place with my chipping and was hitting it very well. I think the secret is going to be to use the V-Easy at home in the evening and try and get some sort of retention of how the set up and shot should feel.

Having got the chipping sorted it was onto the putting. I've actually been putting quite well apart from some distance control issues. I checked my set up using a putting mirror and was happy with that. The V-Easy confirmed that I wasn't breaking my wrists and I think the problem has come about from "peeping" too soon. Once I looked at where the ball had been for a second after impact the judgement of distance become more natural and was much better. I still need to work on the short 3-6 footers as I'm getting caught between wanting to rap them in firmly and hit them with a touch more borrow and be a little more circumspect.

All in all it was a very productive session. If you are having a problem with your putting the V-Easy is available at places like American Golf (distributed by Yes) or you can order at a very good internet site run by a good friend from the Golf Monthly Forum at http://www.improvemygolf.co.uk/

Not long now until the clocks change and I can get out in the evenings to get the killer short game my quest for single figures needs and to go out and have sun fun playing a few holes after work. Shirt sleeves in March. Surely not a sign of a decent summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...