Saturday 27 March 2010

Musing

An enforced weekend off as my back is showing no inclination to improve. I took my putter out of the bag this morning on the off chance that I could go to the club and practice or at the very least use my Pathfinder on the living room carpet. Not a hope. The first sign of getting close to the address position sent shards of pain shooting through my back and down my right leg.

What to do. Well fortunately I'm well stocked on the latest golf magazines and as most of them are previewing Augusta I thought I'd put my Heretic Homer hat on and come up with my predictions. Augusta is always a toughie. If it's dry and the greens are firm then it will suit an accurate driver who can play from the fairway and hit greens. I don't think you have to be obscenely long but you do have to put it in the right place. If Mickleson brings his driving game then he'll be a contender. Westwood is probably one of the best tee to green but I think his short game and putting will find him wanting. Els is running into some form (which is nice to see) and JB Holmes has power to burn and will be hitting in short sticks to a lot of the greens. However for the fact that he is slow to the point of slumber to watch I hope he doesn't win

That leaves the Tiger factor. Is he ready? Of course he'll be ready. He doesn't step onto any course unless he thinks he can win but I think the inevitable press attention, pressure to perform and maybe even the negative reaction from some of the crowd means there will be no fairytale return. My tips are Tim Clark who I think has a fine all round game and Geoff Ogilvy who is long, and has a great putting touch.

I think for the second major, there will be only one favourite with the bookie. Tiger and Pebble Beach are kindred spirits and he'll be back in the flow by then. However I don't think he'll win. Given the way the PGA set their Open courses up with the thick rough I think driving will be paramount and length will be a necessity. For this reason and for the fact that he knows what it's like to contend on a Sunday and having come so close in the last few, I'm going for a Westwood victory. If I was hedging my bets then I think this is another opportunity for Leftie if he can control the driver especially with home town support for the popular Californian.

By the time we get to St Andrew Tiger will be drooling at the chance to play arguably his favourite Open track. However I think St Andrews is one of the easier courses on the rota and so it opens it up to a lot of players. I think we are seeing a renaissance in European fortunes and I think it will be a European winner. Stenson is solid and Westwood will again feature but my tip to finally get the monkey off his back is Sergio. He can play some sublime golf tee to green and has had the experience of being in the mix. With Seve making an emotional goodbye too I think it will be the inspiration he needs.

And that brings us to the USPGA at Baltusrol New Jersey. Tiger better have the fans onside by then or he'll be in for a very rough ride. This traditionally is perhaps the most open of all the majors and who can forget Y.E. Yang and his hybrid into the green last year and the look of disbelief on Woods face. I think the US will get a home grown winner and I think it'll be one of the old hands. For someone who has had his swing described as "an octopus in a phonebooth" Jim Furyk is one of the best ball strikers and most consistent performers. There are doubts over his length but his recent win over a monster course shows that course management over brute force can still win the day.

As I've got my predictive head on, for those that haven't heard much about him, keep a close eye on a European Tour player called Sam Hutsby. He came second at Q school and had a number of strong finishes in the events he played last year. Only 22 and a Walker Cup player this guy is destined to win. I'm probably slightly biased through my connection with the magazine but he's sponsored in part by Golf Monthly and their editor Mike Harris is predicting exciting things ahead. Definitely one to keep an eye on and if he can get a solid first full season on tour will go from strength to strength.

It'll be interesting to see how the majors pan out and I can't wait to watch them. I just hope my back gets better soon so I can get out there and imagine that putt on the last is to win the Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...