Saturday 6 March 2010

A different way - but is it the right way?

I'm following two very interesting projects at the moment on two separate blogs. One is about two 28 handicappers who have set a target of being scratch players within five years. One guy in particular (known as Tiger) has so far concentrated mainly on the short game (and a few lessons for the longer swing) and he's only played a full eighteen hole course once. His partner in crime (Bogie) has been less active to date but is looking forward as we all are to the warmer weather to start his own quest in earnest. Check the blog site out at http://www.projectscratch.co.uk/

The other blog is about Mark Perring a 12 handicapper, (so very similar to myself in terms of skill levels) who has set his sights on also becoming scratch but then taking it further and potentially playing as a pro. He is a very disciplined route in terms of practicing and has been for tuition with top coach Scott Cranfield so obviously is very dedicated to his goal. His progress can be followed on his blog at http://operationscratch.blogspot.com/

It seems there a a lot of us all seeking the same thing here and all attacking it in different ways. Tiger figures that a deadly short game will save him shots when his less consistent long game lets him down. Mark is pursuing his vision with top level coaching and a rigid practice regime and I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm having coaching and working on my swing and short game but not putting in as many practice session or hitting as many balls as the others seem to be.

We all know that there is more than one way to hit a golf ball and it would seem more than one way to attack single figures (in my case) and a goal of scratch golf. Can each way work? Does one of us need to change our approach? Is my less is more method better than hitting hundreds of balls and grooving the swing? Is a fearsome short game or tuition with a world renowned coach the way to go?

I guess the question remains, can we do it. Both Mark and Tiger have posted on their blogs that they have received a lot of negativity, particularly from the Golf Monthly forum (a place never short of an opinion) that it isn't achievable and that Mark in particular is on a hiding to nothing. Surely though we all want to be the best golfer we can and that scratch must be our Everest.

My goals seem pretty modest in comparison. I want to win one of the Royal Ascot prestige events (and get my name on the honours board) and reach single figures. It's actually the first part that will be the hardest. As with every club, there always someone who seems to have a career day, be it a 45 point stableford or a great score in one of the big ones. My handicap should sort itself out in terms of getting to 9.4 or lower once the season really gets going and I get my short game sorted. Ball striking wise I'm happy. I'm just "directionally challenged" with my approach shots at the moment.

I urge you to check both these blogs out. They are fantastic reading and both offer polarised approaches to the same quest. Go on, there's nothing on the box anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Homer, thanks for the plug and ongoing support. Still waiting for that hallelujah moment went the short game clicks and all the practice seems worthwhile. A little concerned that if it doesn't happen before April, I'll become known as the weirdo with the six iron at my new club ;).

    Really hope you had a good chipping lesson now your back with your original teaching pro. Imagine things will soon click into gear for you. See you online soon I'm sure. T

    ReplyDelete

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...