Saturday 13 March 2010

Chipping for Dummies

Played a friendly game with my old mucker Hywel and a couple of guys we joined up with on the third. Another Heinz round (57 varieties of golf) with some excellent drives, wedges that covered the flag, irons that zipped with backspin and some total and utter garbage particularly on the back nine.

However the biggest problem is my short game. I had a lesson last week and thought I had it sorted. I was suppose to have a practice session to bed it in on Wednesday but the lure of eighteen holes was too strong. Came to play today and it was as bad as ever. I even went out to practice it this afternoon to the calls of "pro" from some of the resident club comics who had already seen me come in from my earlier exploits and was now back out working on a miracle cure. It is still a problem. The issue seems to be in the address where my left shoulder is much higher than my right which causes everything to work back away from the ball and the line of the shot. My teaching pro got me standing on a downhill lie to feel the difference (getting me to lean into the slope) but like a fool I'm finding it hard to replicate once back on a flatter surface.

Chipping is such an easy facet and is something I use to be good at and relish practicing. How can I have got so out of shape and ingrained so many bad habits. I'm in danger of losing it like this guy. Still it's the medal tomorrow and the redeeming fact is that if I do have an off day at least I get a shot back
"Will you get in the damn hole"

Total number of lost balls in 2010 = 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...