Monday 10 September 2012

Not A Bad Start

Phew what a scorcher! I hit the practice field yesterday to put into action the set up changes from my lesson on Friday. It was so hot even early in the morning and it was definitely a case of quality and not quantity in the warm sun.

I have to say that early signs weren't good and the first few shots were rather thin. Better a hot sunny day than a freezing morning in January where each one would have stung from finger tip to the very top of the arm. Have you noticed how you only begin to thin shots as the weather gets colder? I was beginning to panic but I trust Rhys implicitly and I knew it was going to be a big change. The firmer base definitely gave a more solid base on which to turn and the swing felt a lot more solid and compact.

The good news was that as the session progressed the ball striking began to get much better. It didn't quite reach the same quality as the ones I produced in the lesson but there was a definite upward trend. I even ventured as far as hitting some longer clubs. The hybrid is still a temperamental animal and the good ones were sublime. The bad ones went left, with a dose of extra left on top. I did feel brave enough to try the driver too and again the good ones were a step up compared to my normal fare. There were a few dodgy ones too but I was starting to feel the heat and getting tired.

So what did I learn from this first session. Well, the firmer base came easily but the temptation to continue to turn the hips was a hard habit to break. It just doesn't come naturally but the results speak for themselves when I get it right. It's going to take a lot of work, plenty of slow motion rehearsal to get the feeling of what the leg and hips should do and total trust that I'm on the right track. It is hard to be too bullish after just one session in scorching sunshine and unseasonal heat. I am confident that I will get it right. The weather forecast for the week isn't so good with a blustery breeze. With the light going so soon I'm tempted to migrate reluctantly from the Royal Ascot practice ground to a driving range. At least I can keep going when the light goes once they crank the floodlights on.

So then, firmer footing, better ball striking and a rather pleasing tan on my arms to boot. What more can you ask from a Sunday morning working on your game. It is a step in the right direction and with the choice to scale back my playing to focus on my swing still to be made I can have the best of both worlds. I've not got too many competitions to worry about so can work hard and then hit the course in roll up games with no pressure or threat to my handicap. All in all the arc of the curve is decidedly upwards and I'm rather bullish about progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...