Thursday 19 July 2012

Two Into One Doesn't Go

Yesterday was the 2nd round of the Volvo Matchplay, a better ball competition. We had a home draw (with my partner Mike Stannard) against a duo from nearby Maidenhead Golf Club. The weather forecast was for showers but what we got, especially on the front nine were periods of heavy rain mixed with heavy drizzle. The conditions made it hard to score well but it was the same for everyone.

I scrambled a half at the first and promptly carved a drive out of bounds at the next. Mike found the second green and then three putted to gift the Maidenhead duo first blood. One down became two at the next when we lost to a birdie but I got that back with a birdie of my own at the fourth. We gifted the sixth to be back to two down. At this stage the nine handicapper was doing all the work and the guy off eleven was having a horror. This changed at the seventh when "Mr carve it everywhere" came to the party and made a four, getting up and down from sand, which we couldn't match. Three down and in big trouble. I parred the next to reduce arrears and was in the box seat on nine having found the green. The opposition both missed the green. One chipped on short and the erratic partner then played a superb chip stone dead to sneak a half.

We shared the tenth. Mike was the only one to find the green at the par three eleventh and promptly three putted again to throw away a good chance to halve the arrears. I made an obscenely long putt for a par (net birdie) at the twelfth (stroke index 1) and back to one down. Mike again was the only player to find the green at the 178 yard next. Again he three putted.

We both made a five at the next to go two down and four to play. I managed to secure a solid par but had to stand and watch as the opposition hammered a nail into the coffin with a birdie putt from twenty feet. Dormie three down. Mike absolutely nailed his drive down the hardest driving hole. I hit a short drive and mis-cued my second. However, Mike missed the green and with one of the opposition on the green but a long way away, it was imperative I got my third shot close. I hit a great nine iron under pressure to within seven feet. Mike could only secure a six. I had to hole my putt to extend the match and hit it on the right line but could only watch as it pulled up an inch short. Game over and we'd been beaten 3&2.

In the end the main source of frustration was the fact that for the most part the one guy had done all the work and the pair of us couldn't match or beat him or put him under any pressure, at least to a significant degree. His partner only came good a couple of times but I guess that is the key. Mike and I didn't "ham and egg" on the day. In general terms I was pretty satisfied with the way I played and hit it and scored pretty well, certainly close to handicap.

Mike had an off day which given how well he has been playing lately was poor timing. Still we win as a team, and lose as a team and to be honest he has more than carried me in the past so I've no qualms about the outcome. We have improved 100% on last year by getting to round two having lost on the 19th last year.

Sometimes you just have to accept that you weren't good enough. We weren't. I'm pleased with how my swing change from the last lesson stood up under pressure. It was the first full round since the lesson last Friday and with only one practise session and nine holes to groove it, the outcome was satisfying and encouraging for the future.

That's it then for another year in the Volvo and in team events for 2012 for Mike and I. Back to individual events and the pursuit of a 10 handicap for me. There is still a lot to play for, with the club championship next week, and the end of season "Masters" event in October. I feel I'm getting better. The short game, so long the weakest chain, amongst many, is coming on and I'm playing with a lot more confidence around the greens. Putting is solid with my new short stick and my mid and short irons are finding their target.

I was never any good at maths at school but even I know two into one doesn't go and had we taken on their one good player we could have progressed into the regional quarter final. It wasn't to be and the Volvo has been well and truly parked for another year.

1 comment:

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...