Monday 9 July 2012

Marking Time - Positively

Since the unexpected but welcome win and handicap cut in the last monthly medal, I've been bereft of golf due to family circumstances. I was forced to pull out of Captain's Day and the monthly stableford this weekend to spend time in London.

However it isn't all doom and gloom. I have spent the week working hard at making the changes I worked on in my last lesson at the Downshire Golf Centre with Rhys ap Iolo. The set up position is becoming more comfortable with the arms out in front of me, giving me more room to swing. The back swing isn't perfect and still across the line but it is getting closer to straight down the line. It is getting better but there is still a long way to go.

On the plus side, the quality of the ball strike is getting more consistent and controllable. The ball is flying better and straighter and the timing is improved. On the range and the somewhat sodden practise field at Royal Ascot I am hitting it well but of course the real test is out on the course.

I've a round pencilled in for tomorrow at Royal Ascot although the forecast isn't great and the umbrella and waterproofs look set for another outing. That said, the course appears to be standing up to the constant pounding it is getting. I'm expecting it to play like November with little or no run but hopefully the hard work I've put in will pay dividends.

I'm excited to be having a playing lesson with Rhys at the Downshire on Friday. I've not had a playing lesson for years and I'm hoping he'll be able to give me some practical advice on course management, pre-shot routine and shot selectin and that I'll have the opportunity to show him the kind of form I had in the last medal.

It has been an infuriating week not having any golf to play at the end of it. Motivation hasn't been an issue as I've been buoyed by the recent cut to 10.9 and so the 2012 goal of 10 is within touching distance. The short game has taken a back seat as the drills and thoughts from the last lesson kicked in. The short game will begin to come to the fore if and when we get a break in the weather as even a golfaholic like me isn't prepared to stand in the pouring rain just to chip and putt. Bunker play needs attention but with these under water nothing can be done for a while.

I feel I've been marking time recently but family has to come first. They always will and while I regret not being able to play in recent events there is still a lot of golf to be played. I'm trying to sort out the 2nd round of the Volvo matchplay where Mike Stannard and I have a home tie with a pair from Maidenhead Golf Club. The next event at Royal Ascot is the club championship. It's a medal on the Saturday with a cut and then the top thirty go out in reverse score order on Sunday. I don't think even in my wildest dreams I can compete for the gross prize but have a feeling I could have a chance in the nett competition.

Until then, I'll try and get a few games in, even if it's just nine holes and try and put the hard work to the test and see if the changes stand up. If not, particularly during the playing lesson, I can get Rhys to see where the problem lies. I think the break, coming after a surprise win, is a good thing. I have a chance to go out fresh and without that level of expectation we all hang around our necks from time to time.

I'm done with marking time and ready to get out and move it on to the next stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...