Sunday 15 July 2012

Magic Wand

I've mentioned in passing a number of times the fact that I've been looking at a new putter. I love the feel of a metal face as opposed to an insert but my Ping Anser is currently serving a spell on the sidelines as we've had a falling out. I've reverted to my Odyssey White Ice #9 and have been holing out with aplomb and confidence is riding high. However the soft insert and the wet greens has meant I've felt as though I'm hitting my putts instead of stroking it and it refuelled the desire.

In the end temptation proved too much. I've been looking at the ProType Tour Series #9 by Odyssey. It's a milled face made of 1025 carbon steel which is similar to stainless steel but with a softer feel. These aren't cheap and the RRP is around the £200 mark but I found one on sale with 20% off and it was £20 cheaper than the best online deal and so it was the clincher.

The new #9 - a magic wand
It had its christening on Tuesday evening when I played a practise round with my normal partner Mike Stannard and it behaved impeccably with no three putts. I didn't perhaps make as many as I had been with the White Ice version but having rocked straight up to the club and gone out with no time to practise there was inevitably a bedding in period.

I'm very pleased with it and it is the ideal compromise between the metal face I prefer, giving me something solid to use on the slow surfaces, with the style that seems to be better suited to my stroke compared to the blade of the Anser.

These aren't cheap but there again none of the milled faced putters are. It doesn't matter which maker you look at, they are all comparable in price. You do get what you pay for though. The deeper, sharper milling pattern on the putter face increases interaction between the face and the ball for better feel, truer roll and more consistency.

If you are in the market for a new wand, then these are definitely worth a look. They come in a variety of styles including a blade and two ball version http://www.odysseygolf.com/global/en-gb/products/putters/protype-tour-series.html

Whilst we are still in the honeymoon period I'm happy that this is the beginning of a long and beautiful friendship. I'm certain I've found a new magic wand and can't wait to start rolling a few in soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...