Monday 6 December 2010

The Jury Are Still Out

Hopefully the majority of the snow has now gone even if the temperature is still bracing at best. The course was closed on Saturday but the range wasn't so I decided to take the I15's for another bash and see if I could make up my mind on them.

I started off really well and the ball striking was pretty good. I'm still trying to bed in the firmer impact position from my last lesson and when I get it right the swing feels much stronger. When I don't it the left leg collapses through impact and I lose all that stored energy. As the lesson went on I got progressively worse and I think I'd lost concentration and got too focused on the changes and not let the swing flow. Suffice to say the ball striking suffered, I couldn't really do the Pings justice and I came home an unhappy camper.

I decided to go to the practice ground at Royal Ascot yesterday. These damn Pings hadn't felt proper grass yet and so I wanted to see how they performed. It was actually quite pleasant standing out there and it wasn't as wet as I'd feared. The grass was rather long though so it felt like every shot was from the light rough and the wind was directly into my face.

As I did on Saturday I started pretty well but as soon as I got the nine iron down towards the longer clubs, I hit problems. I seemed to be hitting everything really heavy and fat and losing a lot of shots left (and low). Even the good contacts had a right to left flight on them. Again I think some of that was down to me swinging poorly but the distances I was getting were very disappointing. It wasn't quite the introduction off grass and the impact I was hoping for with these clubs. It has put me in a quandary. I still think they are great clubs and still think they need to be tested out on the course but I have to say an element of doubt has now crept in.

Where to go next. Well hopefully the course will be open next weekend and I can play in the stableford but I don't think that is the best time to try out new sticks so I might have to wait for some social golf after Christmas to really see how they go. It's all too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...