Monday 6 December 2010

Getting Close To Seasons End

Well another golfing year is nearly over and I thought I'd share my statistics so far. I've taken these from the Scoresaver 2 (http://www.scoresaver.co.uk/) which is a great way of charting your progress.

Key stats for Martin Bedborough (Hcap: 12)


Fairways Hit: 38% (Hcap Std: 17)

Greens In Reg: 23% (Hcap Std: 13)

Putts Per Round: 33.28 (Hcap Std: 15)

Sand Saves: 15% (Hcap Std: 11)

Birdie Conversion: 11% (Hcap Std: 20)

Par Scrambles: 17% (Hcap Std: 18)

Penalties Per Round: 0.89 (Hcap Std: 9)

Date Range: Current Year: 01/01/2010 to 06/12/2010

So what can we tell. Well firstly it was nowhere good enough this year especially in competitions. I did alright socially but stick a card and pencil in my hand and I seemed to fall to pieces. There were some good rounds, including my Jubilee Cup win and a few top three finishes but there were others that were woeful or promised much and crumbled into missed opportunities.

I guess the key two would be the FIR (Fairways) and GIR (Greens in Regulation). Both are a long way down on where they should be. I've never been a great driver of the ball and so missing too many fairways has put pressure on my ability to hit greens. It does go deeper though. Having hit a fairway I only then hit the green 31% of the time. If I missed the fairway that number dropped to 20%. Clearly then much work to be done on both my driving and iron play.

On the putting and scrambling side I'm actually quite pleased. The putting was better than those figures indicate and came good much later in the season when I swapped to my Odyssey #9. The sand saves are a reward for the hard work I put in to improving my technique but the par scramble figure is indicative of the mental block I seem to have in this part of the game.

And the conclusion. The driving is definitely an issue as is my iron play. It'll be interesting to see how the change of swing to be more over the ball and with a straighter left leg impacts on accuracy. I hope the effects will be positive but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...