Sunday 12 December 2010

Feeling Good

I finished 15th yesterday out of 37 in my division. Given the lack of golf (the range is no substitute for the real thing) and an opening tee shot out of bounds I'm pretty content with that. I wanted to go out and play a few holes this morning but the heavy frost had all the greens back on temporary's and so didn't fancy it.

Still being a diligent fellow and still seeking my goal of single figures I hit the practice ground. It was actually quite pleasant, not too cold and with only a gentle breeze (albeit into my face). I started by working on my pitching which has been an area greatly neglected over the last few months. I set up targets at 35, 50 and 60 yards and used my 52 and 58 degree wedges. I have to say all in all I was very happy, especially with my distance control.

I moved onto the full swing. My wedge play and my 8 iron were very close to what I am working towards. However once I get anything longer in my hand, in this case a 6 iron, it starts to go to pot. I did hit some good shots and it isn't all gloom but old habits die hard and I was definitely spinning the hips instead of turning and coming up out of the shot. However I worked on my driving too and once I stood fractionally closer to the ball at address than I had been it clicked in spectacular style and I was very happy with the results. My chipping (see how hard I worked?) remains as difficult to conquer as ever and I'm getting so wrapped up in technique any natural ability is getting quashed. Still I did leave the practice ground in a positive frame of mind.

Had an enjoyable afternoon putting up the Christmas tree. I've a busy week too. Off to see my friend Fish (ex Marillion) in Kingston on Tuesday. I expect we'll chew the fat after the gig so it'll be a late one and I took the precaution of taking Wednesday off. Hopefully I won't be too tired and can get some more work in on my swing in time for the stableford on Saturday. Thursday night is Presentation Night and I collect my prize for the Jubilee Cup win. It's been too long a wait for another major (ten years to be precise) but I can't wait to go up and get my spoils. Hopefully my luck will continue and I'll pick up a prize in the Christmas draw.

I'm out with work on Friday for our Christmas party. It's times like these when I'm glad I can't drink anymore. In the bad old days it would have been non-stop beers all night and home at silly o'clock. With a competition the next day I'd have either scratched or played through the hangover and had a shocker. Now I can have a few soft drinks and stand on the first with a clear head and hopefully get the first shot in play (unlike yesterday).

I've really enjoyed sharing my rollercoaster golfing year with everyone and hope you've enjoyed the ride too. I'd really like to see a few more followers (if I get 50 I'm going to give £100 to Help for Heroes - see other posts for more information) but above all I'd love you to comment more often. Is there anything you want to see (my swing to cheer you up about the state of your own game, more equipment reviews or more links to the bigger world of golf) or want me to change? Get involved and more importantly get your friends involved too.

Right I'm off to watch the pros do it properly on the telly. Hope to hear from you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...