Sunday 5 September 2010

Different Week - Same Old Story

I played in my regular Saturday morning "greedy" yesterday but had a bit of a shocker. However a lot of it was due to circumstances beyond my control. It was Ladies Captain's Day and so the ladies had the tee booked from 9.00 am until midday. As a result all the normal Saturday morning cliques all rushed to get off early. When I got to the club around 6.50am there were already hordes on the 1st tee and swarms gathering on the putting green. By the time we set out at around 8.30 the course was rammed. Unfortunately, some of the groups we usually avoid are notoriously slow and it took 4 1/2 hours to play a social three ball. I have to be honest and say that by the 11th my concentration was shot and I lost interest. It took so long between shots that when it was my turn to play I was so glad to have a chance to hit the bloody thing I just stepped up and whacked it. No pre-shot routine, very little thought, and zero enjoyment.

I struggled and didn't hit it great although my front nine was decent enough and I was level with my handicap although I should point out that I was enjoying a rare outing off the forward yellow tees. I did alright in patches but there was no rhythm and my tempo was off so the ball striking wasn't great. However I must say there were some that enjoyed themselves. The winner amongst our group, Anthony who plays off 26 managed to get a stonking 43 points and at the same time managed a personal best score. Well done to him, even if he didn't buy me a drink with his winnings!

I played with Budeley (otherwise known as Paul Sweetman) today. I hit the ball far better in terms of ball striking but had a really frustrating day. I kept putting myself in good positions and then missing the target with only short irons in my hand. It didn't start great with a great contact on the first shot of the day. Unfortunately I blocked it straight right and out of bounds. I ticked along nicely until the par 5 fifth. Standing 116 yards away facing my third shot I hit a horrid hook with just a nine iron in my hand. I then managed to turn a safe six (and two points) into a double bogey (and just a single pointer) with three putts from nowhere.

I had a nightmare down the next as we were let through by a fourball. You all know what it's like. You want to get cracking and so rush your shots. Suffice to say I left my first bunker shot in the trap and then hit the next too long. A chip and a putt for another double bogey. I was on the double bogey train at the next although the bare lie I had for my third didn't help. I did finish the first nine with two pars courtesy of a chip and a putt at both.

The back nine was steady and I was level with my handicap until the 15th where I lost a ball. I hit a good drive into the light rough on the right. I took out my 5 wood and hit it great but it just clipped the tree some twenty yards ahead. Neither Paul or I had a clue where the ricochet went and we never even heard it land. And so it continued. I hit a great 3 wood down the 6th and then hooked my second and duffed the chip (another double). Even on the last there was no respite. A good drive went slightly right and sat in some wet rough. Ever the optimist (ok I had a new 5 wood and wanted to hit it) I topped my shot some 50 yards. I stuck my next into a better position and left only 120 yards to the green. It should have been so easy. However being Homer I managed to put a rubbish swing on it and stuck it way right of the target and into the pond. Not a great finish but I did manage to beat Paul which meant he had to stump up for the tea and toast afterwards so it wasn't all bad.

I've had a week off and so I'm back to work tomorrow. Still with a dodgy forecast for most of the week 'm not too upset. I'll get some range time in as the swing is nearly there and then play in the roll up next Saturday. After that it's the Masters on Sunday. Thirty-six holes of medal golf. Still, it's only open to competition winners over the last twelve months so it'll be an elite field. I'm not overly optimistic as I seem to be building a reputation of flattering to deceive but we'll give it a go. Onwards and upwards (a bit like my handicap!)

Total number of balls lost in 2010 = 62

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...