Thursday 12 August 2010

Lost in Transit

I've got a few days off work. Decided to wander down to Maidenhead Golf Centre yesterday morning and work on the swing. As usual, I'm suffering from a lack of consistency and its killing my game, particularly in competitions.

It was nice and quiet when I got there which is how I like it. Nothing like trying to concentrate on improving with loads of kids running about and smashing balls left right and centre. Fortunately in the main, this range is pretty good. It's tucked out of the way and so the majority are there because they want to practice and not play the fool. I started out assuming it would be the usual mis-mash of good and bad shots but as I began working through the bag from the wedges up I was actually swinging surprisingly well. It even carried through to the driver which has been a nemesis in recent weeks.

I hadn't planned to play but decided to have some lunch and wander up to the club and play a few holes. It was packed for a Wednesday afternoon. Doesn't anyone work anymore? I was approached by a guy looking for a game and so we paired up. He's Ian Jolley who told me he was off 18 and had played the back nine already and got 22 points. Mmmmm sounds like a bandit.

We decided to have a little match off the whites and I gave him 4 shots which in hindsight should have been the full difference of 6. DOH! He said he was having trouble with a bad slice but an opening tee shot into the right hand greenside bunker foretold what was to come and no surprise I was one down.

The problem I was having was that my swing from the morning range session had obviously got lost in transit as the one I had on course bore no resemblance. The frustrating thing was that I'd have one good drive or iron shot and then hit an awful one with no warning. There was just no consistency. In the end my erratic game was no match for Ian's regularity in finding fairways and greens. This so called slice was more of a fade and he had a pretty solid short game which made him hard to catch once he had his nose in front. In the end he did me 4&3 and deservedly so.

It is a continuing story of practicing well and not bringing it to the course. Now this has lapsed into my social golf is a major concern. I've got a game with my old mate Paul Sweetman (Budely to his friends) tomorrow although the forecast is iffy. I'm hoping in the relaxed company I can knock it round and find some kind of spark.

I live in hope more than expectation

Total number of lost balls in 2010 = 55

1 comment:

  1. Sorry Homer but purple and grey!!! C'est tres terrible n'est-ce pas?

    ReplyDelete

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...