Sunday 22 August 2010

Getting Closer

Rant Alert. I've got the hump. Finished 4th in the stableford yesterday and another one that got away. I scored 36 points which included not scoring at the par 3 sixth hole, four single point holes and three putting the last green from ten feet to drop another shot. There was a 40 point total there for the taking.

Now that I've got that off my chest I can focus on the positives. Another bad opening hole saw me take five for a double bogey and only one point. I hit it right again as I'd done in the match versus Maidenhead last Sunday but at least I had a shot this time. I just played it badly. Still the bouncebackability factor was off the scale as I stormed back with a great drive down the 2nd, excellent lay up and a perfect 52 degree wedge to eight feet and holed the putt for a birdie.

I actually struck the ball pretty solidly all day except for one poor tee shot at the sixth which went right, hit a tree and came out onto the edge of a ditch. I got it towards the edge of the green but took three to get down and didn't score any points. Again I cam back with a great chip and putt from the back of the seventh to make a par. I played the front nine in six over gross and that included three double bogies!!!

The back nine was another story of good ball striking but being unable to convert it into a score. I missed the tenth green left and the eleventh right. I hit a great drive at the twelfth to set up a par and then missed the par three thirteenth to drop a shot. I saved my best tee shot for the sixteenth which regular followers will know is a tight tee shot and along 425 yard par four. I hit a perfect drive with a hint of draw way down there. The yardage was 137 yards to the front downwind and I was tempted to take a 9 iron but was concerned it wouldn't get there so I took a 3/4 swing with an 8 but it was too long. I even managed to hit the back of the seventeenth for the first time in ages but them tamely took three putts from the fringe of the green.

Standing on the eighteenth I knew a par would see me play under my handicap and post 37 points which I thought wouldn't be enough to win but might sneak a top three finish. Another great drive found the fairway and the 5 wood second left a great yardage into the flag. I hit my 52 degree wedge great and was only ten feet away. A birdie would put me right in the hunt. It was downhill, right to left and  never gave it a chance to drop. It was pacy too and I left a four footer back which I missed with ease. Why is it a bogey at the last always feels so frustrating.

At the end of the day I can't be too downhearted. After getting into positions to challenge over the last few weeks coupled with some appalling golf as well it was pleasing to hold it together for the full round. I'm pleased that some of the work I've been putting in is paying off.

It's definitely a glass half full kind of round.

Total number of lost balls in 2010 = 56

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...