Friday 18 January 2013

Taylormade True Path Putting

Along with the majority of the country I've been stuck indoors this afternoon as the snow has arrived. Any chance of playing and getting my first eighteen holes in 2013 are well and truly on hold. It won't be this weekend and I doubt it will be next either. The roads are almost impassable in places and so a trip to the range is off. I doubt they'd be open either from a heath and safety perspective or because they will struggle to find, let alone pick the balls up. What to do?

Fortunately I've a host of practice aids including several to help putting. One of the those is the TaylorMade True Path. The True Path putting trainer was designed after years of studying the putting strokes of Tour players, top PGA club professionals as well as top amateurs. The TaylorMade putting lab data of thousands of strokes was analysed to determine common faults and the best techniques of some of the best players in the world. Face angle and putter path are both important in successful putting. The best putters have a path that is no more than 2 degrees outside or inside the line. The most common successful putting paths are: 1) straight back/straight through and 2)an arc from inside to square to inside

Enough of the TaylorMade blurb. I've been struggling a little with the putter and had noted that the putter actually went outside the line on the way back, did a loop the loop and back on to a straight path. I've always felt comfortable trying to go straight back and through but wanted to experiment with a more inside path.


The True Path will groove a straight back and through or arced stroke

 
It's simple to set up. The base folds open and the rails fit on simply with magnets. It can be used with one or both rails and with or without the base. I have been working on simple three or foot putters and my grip, set up and path. I've also dusted of my original Ping Anser 2 to compare against the Odyssey Protype Tour Series #9. I've come to the conclusion that an arc back and through, certainly on the shorter putts suits my style and eye better. I've managed to while away a good couple of hours just making strokes. It beats watching daytime TV.

I've been playing with the grip and trying to get it more in the palms, putting the right hand on first and then joining the left hand. I want to work on putting with my teaching professional, Rhys ap Iolo, to make sure the basics of grip, alignment and the stroke path are all sound. This work with the True Path will provide a good starting point. We can then utilise the Aimpoint method of reading greens I started using last season http://aimpointgolf.com/ to find the correct break.

A good stroke, repeatable path and an ability to read the break perfectly will make putting easier. I've already spoken about a number of practice drills I'm working on trying to replicate playing pressure using GRiP zone http://www.mygripzone.com/, If I can get it firing in practise then standing over a three footer for par won't be an issue. I can stand there with a positive mind and put a good solid stroke on it.

My 2013 season is being built around a better short game. I am progressing nicely with the swing changes and have been very happy with the quality of my ball striking. It has been an inability to get up and down when I miss a green, coupled with frustration born from not making as many birdie or par putts as I should. If I can chip better (a work in progress) and then get the putter warmed up it takes so much pressure off the rest of the game.

I have to say the True Path is a very good piece of equipment and is something that can easily set up on the putting green (once the snow goes). It folds up into a small and easily transported bag and is set up in seconds. It does what it says on the box really. My only gripe would be the price. It is more expensive than similar products. However perhaps because it gives you the option for an arced or straight path there is a premium on the price. That moan aside it is a useful training aid and has certainly come into its own today. Having just been out to measure the snowfall at six inches in Berkshire and with it still coming down it will be getting plenty more action this weekend.

I would give it a solid seven out of ten (it lost a point on price) and if you are looking for something that helps groove your stroke and fits into your method (arc or straight) then I suggest giving this serious consideration. 

1 comment:

  1. Always a good read and great to get honest feedback on game improving products and apps

    ReplyDelete

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...