Wednesday 23 January 2013

Getting My Fix

The snow is still here and the course remains closed. I haven't hit a golf ball since Sunday January 13th and I couldn't take it anymore. I have been using the Taylormade True Path on a daily basis but working on my putting stroke doesn't replace the feeling of a crisply struck iron on a ball.

Having a day off work I planned to hit the range. Coming home from work last night in yet more heavy snow I was worried about what the conditions would be like and whether there would be any merit standing on a Siberian range in a cruel wind chill trying to justify being there. As it happened, the mercury was hovering at a barmy two degrees and there was little wind to talk off. The mats at the local range, Blue Mountain in Bracknell, were devoid of snow and perfectly safe to stand and swing on. I was pleased to see there were three or four other like minded souls out looking for their game. Unsurprisingly, with a deep layer of snow lying on the ground and a battleship grey sky it was hard to see where the balls were landing. For me though it was all about the quality of the strike and the direction. Distance can be scrutinised at a later date.

I had arrived in such high spirits, glad to finally be back hitting balls. I took the time to stretch and warm up properly before hitting any balls, acutely aware that I'm beginning to get old and the body needs some persuading these days to work without aches and pain. My positivity lasted ten or so balls as a nasty outbreak of the Shermans, socket rockets, J Arthurs or any of the other euphemisms for the shank took hold. It is becoming a common theme and can be traced to me moving way ahead of the ball on the downswing, something my teaching pro has pointed out on several occasions. When I'm working on my swing regularly and I'm rotating around the spine properly it isn't an issue. It is a timing issue and so often rears up early or late in a session when I'm either not in the groove or have perhaps done to much and got tired mentally and physically.

It's funny how quickly you feel a chill in the air when the ball isn't going where you want it to! Back to basics then, cutting out moving parts and making sure the takeaway was correct. Ball by ball the impact moved further from the heel of the club until we finally found the sweet spot. Once I got it working, the ball flight and the contact were very good. Having not hit any balls for a while, I focused on mid irons just working hard on key aspects such as my grip (not too strong), posture (keeping the left shoulder from rising) and tempo (giving myself time to turn properly). The conditions dictate that there isn't much you can get from sessions like this other than keeping the game ticking over.

When I got it right the shots were every bit as pleasing as they were in my last practice session (http://threeoffthetee.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/primed-and-ready.html). However I am still having to work hard on the takeaway and the feeling of the right way to turn, especially the shoulders, on the way back. I'm putting it down timing issues and a lack of practice. No need to press any panic buttons yet.

At the end of the day it was about getting rid of the rust, and more importantly for my golfing sanity, putting club on ball. The range is getting seriously short of balls and so there is no guarantee it'll remain open for another go at the weekend unless the thaw arrives soon. I'm guessing there is no chance of hitting off grass at Royal Ascot for a while. Even if the snow goes, it is bound to be sodden. There is a monthly stableford due for February 2nd so my first game of 2013 looks likely to be in a competitive environment. I don't mind that. I'm in a good place with my ball striking and by and large my direction so what difference does it make if it's a qualifying round or not?

For now though, I've got my golfing fix but like any addict it won't be too long before I'll need another hit. Hopefully none of the ranges will have run out of ammo by then. It has certainly helped hitting balls today and the compulsion to get my hit via the myriad of online golf stores is receding which is good news for the credit card. Many are in the same boat and haven't seen a course or range for weeks. My friends over on the Golf Monthly forum (http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk) have all been going stir crazy. Hopefully the worse of the winter weather has been and gone. Not long until the lighter nights come now. Hang in there my fellow golfers. The 2013 season is nearly upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...