Sunday 27 November 2011

Breaking Them In Gently

I took my shiny new R11's to the range this morning to get to know them and ensure each had a sweet spot that had been trained to ensure it knew where the ball is before they were released from the factory. As ever with me it is never straightforward and I am still doing some work on the drills from my last lesson on posture and impact position and so it was hard to always be 100% certain with the bad ones how much was down to trying to encompass a new swing, and how much was getting use to the new club, particularly the greater offset at address.

I had planned to play this morning but to be honest really fancied the lie in. Not a bad choice as this was the view when I pulled back the curtain.

A heavy shower was all the excuse I needed for another 20 minutes in bed
It was a heavy shower and soon passed but I'd have only just started as it came over and really didn't fancy the thought of several holes in the rain. Maybe I'm becoming a soft fair weather golfer. I like to think the work I did at the range was suitable penance though.

On top of the new clubs I'd been having "issues" with my putting and the old Ping Anser 2 was heading for a spell in the naughty cupboard especially after the way it performed yesterday. Despite a chill wind I ventured up to Royal Ascot this afternoon to spend some time trying to make those crucial 3 footers. Just to get the Ping's attention I took my Odyssey White Ice #9 too.

The Odyssey White Ice #9 - ready for a return?
I have to say the Odyssey performed exceptionally well and I felt I could take the putter back and through on the shorter ones with a lot more confidence. Naturally the Ping played ball and I was holing out with aplomb with both flat sticks. I've decided a few hours at home this week on the living room carpet will give me a taste for what feels better. I know what I think I want in the bag but can't convince myself its the right choice. If I was playing tomorrow the Odyssey would be in the bag with the Ping relegated to a spell on the substitutes bench but who knows after I've worn a groove into the living room carpet and annoyed the wife as she tries to watch Strictly I'm An X Factor Celebrity Eastender Omnibus or whatever rubbish it is.

I also took some time to look at my chipping. Fortunately Alistair White the club pro at Royal Ascot was passing and gave me a couple of quick pointers. The cold was biting and to be honest the enthusiasm was waning but he pointed out one flaw in that there was no wrist hinge at all. Apparently trying to keep the wrists quiet as I have can lead to some execution issues and all the great chippers (and some mediocre ones) all had a touch of hinge. Quelle surprise Sherlock! I think I can write the definitive How Not To book. Anyway with a degree more hinge on the way back and focusing on keeping the club head moving through the shot has given me a modicum more confidence inwhat remains a nemesis part of my game.

All in all then a hard days work. We know from the wins and placed finishes I've had in 2011 that the hard graft can pay off. It's about striking that balance now between working on what I've been shown to get it into the game and relying on my instinct and feel. I had an interesting message from a guy called Rhys Ap Iolo who is a pro from the Downshire Golf Course/Range on the Wokingham/Bracknell border. He's been following my trials and tribulations over the last few weeks via twitter (@medboro if you fancy following me on there - more the merrier. I've got 81 followers now and if I get to 100 I've pledged to give £100 to the Help for Heroes Charity - http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/). Basically he summed it up perfectly and I'll leave you with this thought for all of you not quite playing to your maximum potential or going through a bit of a dip in form.

 "Change the way it flies not the way it looks! It ain't got to look pretty to work!"

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy following your blog! I'm a fairly decent player off 1 and I had my best year (5 to 2) when I learned to not only accept but enjoy hitting bad shots! Enjoy the challenge of scrapping and getting up and down! I now only practise short game and it has improved my long game as I'm not so tense over long shots! Hope you dont mind the input! Enjoy the blog all the best bushy1984 twitter follower

    ReplyDelete

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...