Tuesday 26 April 2011

Field Of Dreams

There are some people out there that really cheese me off. You know the type. They play any number of different sports and are extremely proficient if not downright good at them all. I've dabbled with a few in my time. I was a reasonable goalkeeper in my youth,  and a game if not particularly skilled full back later in my career. I kept wicket well enough to maintain a regular second XI berth but usually batted at number 12 (club average around 4). As a kid I was a solid team member for my local athletics club and would do a job in cross country and 800 and 1500 meters and get some valuable points in team matches. I've was even a half decent pub league darts player with a few 180's and a 155 finish to my name. The point is whilst I was "reasonable" I was never really good at any of these. The main reason was I was too lazy or distracted to practice or train properly or efficiently.

To a certain degree it has always the same with golf. Granted I had much more natural aptitude for it and got down quite quickly as a junior until I got to those halcyon days (almost thirty years ago) of being a low single figure player and an assistant pro. However even then, the only way I could maintain that level was to practice and play daily. Once I realised I couldn't make a living from the game and found women and beer I stopped practicing. My golf became worse and I lost even more interest and so a cycle emerged. I'd not practice, play badly and lose interest. Repeat until a point where I gave up altogether.

The point of this "This is your life" reminisce is simple. Whilst I have no pretension of getting down to low single figures I'd love to get down to a 9 or 10 handicap again. The only way I can do that is to work on my game A LOT, and work on the right things. I have regular lessons which are helping keep the bad faults in check and my short game is in post-op recovery at the moment but has come off the life support. It is getting better.

One of the best things about my club is the members. There is a big group of regulars and their humour is savage. I've acquired the moniker of "The Pro" for the amount of time I spend on the practice ground as opposed to playing. It's been said that I am always out there. There has been much comment on whether I spend too much time tinkering and looking for something I'll never find. How much is too much practice?


Some of the wags, ok, some of the smart-arses have even started to dub the practice ground "The Martin Bedborough Practice Field" and are joshing that I should charge other members to use my private facility. Maybe they have a point. I could make a tidy profit. The point is, the clubs practice facility is important to me especially in the summer. It is my "Field of Dreams" and although I don't see images of dead golfers talking to me, it does inspire me to find my best game. To that degree it is working. I am getting close to producing some quality golf for 18 holes and not just one nine or a run of holes.

A lot of those given me a ribbing are those annoying people I mentioned at the start. They play golf well (many are low teen or single figures) and although they play regularly, and some a lot, they never seem to suffer big dips in form or need to work at their games. Sadly I was and never will be with work and family life to deal with as well, one of those. Golf has never come easy. I do believe you get out what you put in and so thankfully I should be getting the just rewards soon. It has been a solid winter's work and the ball strike is so much better now. Get a short game and stop making errors and this time next year Rodders I could be a contender. Mange Tout. 

In the meantime, if you feel the need to practice and "The Pro" is in residence don't forget your fee to use my facility. I'll see you on the "Field of Dreams" soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...