Wednesday 21 July 2010

Chipping and a Game of Two Halves

I had a chipping lesson with Steve Cox, the professional at Sand Martins on Sunday afternoon. It was pre-booked and given that the British Open had turned into a procession it didn't seem as if I was missing out on much. My chipping had regressed recently and Steve was able to confirm what I sort of knew about set up being wrong and the ball position being too far forward. He also wanted me to focus on more of a body turn for any length of chip to prevent me getting too flicky with the hands and arms. Think of it a a mini golf shot.

I struggled initially to get the concept especially the need to rotate the body but we persevered and eventually we reached a eureka moment. We even had enough time to wander over to the bunker and work on my sand skills. Again we changed the set up a little to let the bounce of the club do the work. Like a good boy I stayed behind and worked on it for an hour or so and feel as though it has come back together.

I played 18 holes last night and just met up with a couple of guys on the 3rd. I hit the ball pretty well but unlike Saturday couldn't post the scores. Where I was missing greens, I was chipping as per the lesson to good effect but the putter was stone cold and I couldn't buy a putt all night. I managed to hit another horror drive down nine almost as far right as Saturday and in the next greenside bunker along on 18. This time I got it out much better and made a 5 but this is beginning to play on my mind. I've not hit a great drive there for ages despite the width of the fairway. Something needs to change for Captains Day on Saturday.

Anyway, I put that behind me and was determined to carry on as I had been playing now we were on the back nine. Cue another sliced drive down 10 for the second round in a row and a double bogey. I made a great sand save at the next and then had a horrible 7 at the 12th with a bad drive and eventually a lost ball when I hooked my 3rd into the rough left of the green. I hit the green with the next and two putted. I hit a sublime 4 iron at the 13th for an easy par and was adequate until I hit a snap hook off the 16th tee out of bounds. I compounded it by doing the same on 17 and by the time I hit what should have been an easy 9 iron approach into the pond on 18 I was thoroughly cheesed off with my game.

I'm not sure what the problem is but everything is low and drawing (hooking) left. I think it might be a ball position issue so I'm off to the range on Thursday and Friday to look for the secret before Captains Day. I'm out in the morning, shotgun start, off the 3rd so not too bad a draw. I've no idea who the two guys I'm playing with are (don't even recognise the names) but it would be nice to put up a decent showing in such a big event even if I don't get to win.

It's frustrating again, as it has been almost all of the season. It's just there within touching distance. I can smell that good round but it's not quite there for me. I think it will come and when it clicks there is a very low score waiting to be made. We'll see if the optimism is still there after the range tomorrow.

Total number of lost balls in 2010 = 54

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...