Thursday 9 April 2015

Ping Cadence Putter Review

For the last few seasons I've been using an Odyssey Protype Tour #9 putter and by and large we have had a happy and successful relationship. It’s a milled face, beautiful on the eye and a piece of precision machining. The face has a lovely buttery feel without being too soft and feels so much nicer than the traditional Odyssey inserts. So far so good but I've a dark secret. The Odyssey isn't my true love.

When I first realised that the golf bug had bitten and that the golfing mistress had me with her siren song, I bought a Ping Anser 2. I still have it at home with the solid metal face. In my opinion, there really hasn't been a putter design before or since that compares to the iconic simple shape of the Anser blade and there is no wonder every putter manufacturer has their own version of this model in their range or why it is still the design most popular with both professional and club golfers alike.

I love my Odyssey and it’s been a faithful companion and helped me to most of my golfing achievements (few and far between as they've been) and I've developed a putting style that suits. In recent months I've added an Odyssey jumbo grip to keep the hands quieter in the stroke, especially on the shorter putts and everything has been fine and dandy. It isn't you dear Odyssey. It’s me. You've done nothing wrong but I've spurned your love for another who has turned my eye. 

I've had the hankering to go back to an Anser style putter for ages. It’s a nagging, recurring desire. Every summer when the greens are at their peak, I've put the old Anser in the bag for a while and loved it. However it’s too light these days and the face doesn't seem so friendly, especially away from the tiny sweet spot and inevitably I’ll go back to the Odyssey. However for those brief few weeks when I have it in my hands it’s like all my golfing yesterdays and I feel as young and invincible on the greens as I had as a golf mad youngster.

That has now changed. Ping has introduced the Cadence range of putters and I've taken the plunge with an Anser 2. There I've said it. The Cadence range comes in two styles. There is a traditional range, symbolised with a blue TR (true roll insert) which Ping say is aimed for those with a mid-quick putting tempo. There is also a heavier range, with a black TR insert for those with a slower stroke which Ping say will also help on the shorter putts for those that struggle. 

The True Roll inserts vary in width and depth to provide unmatched ball-speed consistency and accuracy on putts of any length. Anything not struck out the middle will, according to Ping, still roll out fully and have a chance of making the full trip to the hole and dropping.

The Anser 2 Heavy (left) and Anser 2 Traditional (right)

This is what Ping say on their website:
Engineered to fit a golfer's stroke tempo and feel preference, Cadence TR models advance putter fitting by varying head weights utilising different-weight face inserts. Traditional-weight heads feature an aluminium insert (blue face and grip) to fit mid-to-faster tempos, and offer help with lag putting. Heavy versions (black face and grip) have a stainless steel insert, adding approximately 25 grams for slower tempos and can improve results on shorter putts. (Traditional and heavy grips weigh the same.)

Both face inserts feature the next generation of True Roll Technology grooves that provide forgiveness by normalising ball speeds across the face. They vary in depth and width from the centre of the face to significantly improve ball-speed consistency on putts of any length.

Both the traditional and heavy models come with a PP58 Midsize pistol grip designed to keep the wrists firm and ensure a stable stroke for improved accuracy and consistency. The traditional model has a striking blue grip to compliment the blue face insert and the heavy range has a darker grip that matches the face in that range.

The Traditional putter grip. It sits beautifully in the hand and is firm without compromising feel 
Enough of the marketing blurb. I've had the Anser 2 model in the bag for about a month now. How has it performed? Let me start with the aesthetics. It simply looks fantastic behind the ball and the grey finish and clear white alignment line along with the classic simple lines make it look fantastic behind the ball. The pistol grip sits nicely in the hand and is firm but still retains a sense of feel. Performance wise I love this heel/toe design and the Anser 2 is designed for a slightly arced stroke which is something I've always felt comfortable with. On the shorter putts, I've always been more back and through type of guy and this putter will still let you do this without trying to manipulate you into making a stroke more in to square to in again.

The Odyssey #9 always seemed to have a stronger arc. No bad thing but as I've said I always felt I’d had to change my stroke to match the putter. I found that my arms were closer than normal to my body while using this putter. My back swing with the putter definitely followed an arc inside much more than normal. It didn't feel unnatural, just different. The weighting of the head and the position of the hands made it relatively easy to reproduce.

With the Ping, I feel my arms hang more freely and as a result I seem to find it easier to stand with my eyes more over the ball as some sessions with a putting mirror has confirmed. The stroke seems more fluid although perhaps that’s more “new putter syndrome” and I'm just relaxed with the new toy and putting with a better and technically correct stroke.

Performance wise, the Anser 2 has given me everything I was looking for and reaffirmed why I was right to nurture this long lasting desire for this type of putter. Again, whether this is a placebo effect of the new shape behind the ball but I seem to be making a lot more mid to long range putts. I will be honest and say from the crucial 3-6 foot range I seem to have missed a few but I'm not sure how much that has been down to a lack of practice, bobbly winter greens, or simple pilot error.

I have plans to do a lot of work with a putting mirror and raised string line and get the stroke grooved ready for the season and those short range putts will be the first thing to be addressed. With an improving short game I am aware the putting statistics will get skewed as I make more up and down saves but ultimately it's a game of scoring and those putts still have to be made.

If you are in the market for a new putter then the new Ping range is definitely worth keeping an eye on. Whether it’s just me or not, but I've only seen the traditional (blue) range in set shaft lengths (usually 33-36 inches) where the heavy (black) range seem to come with the adjustable shafts that Ping have had in their releases for a while. Here is the link to the options as per the Ping website (http://www.ping.com/clubs/puttersdetail.aspx?id=18298). I'm not sure why this is but I’d like the option in the traditional range to adjust the length, especially if the stroke isn't working. Sometimes standing differently can make a difference and spark the stroke back to life. It’s always nice to tinker too.

That small gripe aside I am more than happy to have finally gone back to my one true love. Yes I feel guilty the Odyssey #9 is lying in the spare bag spurned and unwanted. However I’m not convinced my putting is built for monogamy and I’m sure there will come a time in the future where I'm whispering sweet nothings to it and wooing it again. I do think though that this is a long way down the line (but never say never). 

I'm really happy with the Anser 2. It ticks all the boxes in terms of looks and so far performance has exceeded expectation. It has all the things my original Anser 2 had all those years ago but with a modern twist. I do think the TR insert has made a difference although I had a dampener inserted into my milled Odyssey face which stopped vibrations and so I could get away with mis-hit putts just as well. I don’t think you can necessarily compare a milled face (without the additional help of a dampener) and the TR version and so if you are undecided then it’s definitely something you’d need to consider and hit a good number of putts to decide how the off centre ones work for you. The putter has a nice balance and the matt finish works well in sunlight and isn't too harsh behind the ball.

It's nice to have this putter in the bag and I hope we'll have a long and happy relationship. It's a great addition to the Ping range and as with everything they produced, a well constructed piece of equipment. I'm acutely aware how personal putting and putters are but this has suited my own game and stroke. I feel confident on the green and with the way the Anser sits behind the ball you really do feel able to make every putt. As I put more work into the putting as the season progresses I hope this facet will only get better and I can shoot some low scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...