Tuesday 18 October 2011

The Forest of Arden - The Pictures

I'm sure there are those, especially those that have played with me in the last few months, that are still having trouble believing I could win my handicap division at the Golf Monthly Centenary Final at the Forest of Arden, let alone tie for first place. Let those doubters be forever silenced as the luminaries at Golf Monthly have posted a report of their own and a gallery of pictures


http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/tours-and-news/tournews/529303/golf-monthly-centenary-society-grand-final.html

Here is the pictorial evidence of my win in the handicap section and the glorious oh so near.

A study of concentration
This was the birdie attempt at the par 5 12th hole. It measures 537 yards with a large pond guarding the left hand side of the green. I didn't make the birdie but sunk the next for a safe par five.

Smile for the camera
I'm receiving a brand new Srixon bag for winning the 13+ handicap division prize with 34 points from Jeremy Ellwood, Assistant Editor of Golf Monthly. Mike Harris the magazine's Editor is in the background hosting the prize giving ceremony.

Glorious Failure
This is the winner of the event, Bill Martin and I posing with our beautiful trophies on the balcony of the clubhouse in front of the green on the 18th, the signature hole. Bill played off nine and pipped me on a countback that went to the last 6 holes although to be fair his 15 points to my 12 was fairly convincing. He parred the last five holes so deserved to win.

And there we have it. You've read in detail how fine margins cost me the ultimate prize http://threeoffthetee.blogspot.com/2011/10/fine-margins.html but I'd never have dreamed I'd get this far let alone coming within a putt or two of winning. All I have to do now is find the magic of that day and reproduce it more often around the hallowed turf of Royal Ascot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...