Thursday 1 September 2011

Golf Monthly Powerplay Golf Event - Treated Like Pros

Yesterday (August 31st) was the Golf Monthly Powerplay Golf event at the Grove near Watford. Thirty or so members of the Golf Monthly forum had been invited to this event which was an opportunity for Powerplay to publicise this exciting new concept ahead of a launch of their next professional event.



For those of you that haven't come across this format yet, it is a bit like 20/20 cricket for golf. It involves two flags per green, white and black. If you go for the white one which is normally situated in an easier position you score as per normal stableford. However if you elect to go for the tougher black pin position and make a nett birdie or better then the points are doubled. You must take three of these powerplays in the first 8 holes. When you reach the 9th (it's only a nine hole event) you can opt to take a final powerplay but should you make a net bogey or worse the you lose three points. For full details on all the rules check out the official website

http://www.powerplay-golf.com/

The Grove is quite frankly the most prestigious course I've ever played and I've been lucky enough to have played a few famous ones. I knew it was a different class when we pulled into the car par and the England football team coach was parked there with the team in residence. The golf facility itself is extraordinary and the guys from Powerplay along with Golf Monthly had pulled out all the stops to make this a day to remember. After we arrived and registered it was down to the range for a limber up. On arrival each player had a pyramid of balls waiting for them just as you see for the pros. It wasn't just that, it was the little touches too like complimentary bottles of water and free tees. The range staff even cleaned the clubs for the players. It was simply as close to being a professional as we are likely to get.

At 3.00pm the inventor of the Powerplay format, Peter McEvoy arrived to give us a pep talk. One of the top amateur golfers this country has produced he has played and captained Walker Cup sides with success. He went through the concept, where Powerplay is going both for the amateur golfer and on the professional stage and the rules and strategies involved. It was another great touch to get such a high profile ambassador along

Peter McEvoy - the inspiration behind Powerplay Golf
It didn't stop there as there were commemorative bag tags individually inscribed with players names, free course planners and yet more tees and pitch repairers waiting on the 1st tee. Golf Monthly had arranged a putting competition before the start of the main event with their resident rules guru Jezz Ellwood selecting the layout. With the green running at near professional tournament speed of 10.5 on the stimpmeter and with some devious contours, it was to provide a stark taster of what was to come.

Stepping onto the 1st tee, the course didn't disappoint. The tee box was exquisite and better than most fairways at other clubs. Mown tighter than a skinheads hair the club just sat behind the ball and invited you to spank it into the blue yonder. The opener is a gentle 340 yard right to left dog-leg. I hit an impeccable three wood in front of the assembled masses and found the green with my 8 iron approach for an opening par.


It played as good as it looked

I took my first powerplay at the 3rd hole which was 428 yards, downhill, with water guarding the front of the green. In hindsight, needing a par (net birdie) for the big points it was probably too long for me to have a serious chance. I hit a great drive and still had 193 yards left and my five wood missed right. I duffed the chip off the tightly mown fairway and walked off with a six and a solitary point. My second powerplay was at the next, a very short par 3 measuring just 117 yards over a stream. I had a shot as well. I hit the green and putted without too much effort for a net birdie and six valuable points.

My last powerplay of the mandatory three was at the par 5, 538 yard 6th hole. Again it was a shot hole and so a par would have seen more big points in the kitty. I did the hard part well and was only 121 yards from the green for my third. The black flag I was shooting for was tucked away on the back left of the green very close to the edge of the putting surface. I played for a draw and moved it from right to left as planned but slightly overcooked it and it landed on the green and fell off the shelf into a hollow. I could only chip and two putt.

On the 9th you get the option of taking another powerplay but you run the risk of losing points if you make bogey or worse. This par 5 measured 549 yards from the tees we were using. It is even longer for the pros but Tiger Woods didn't find it a problem. When the American Express event was held at the Grove, he managed to find the fairway each day, hit it on the green, and for the first three days converted for eagle. Each of the drives were a matter of yards from each other and there are plaques on the fairway to commemorate his achievement. He only managed a birdie on the final day!

I took the option of the powerplay even though I was never going to be in contention. Again, it was a long hole for me and a good drive and second still left me with 165 yards into a stiffening evening breeze and my third came up short. I hit a good chip but couldn't make the putt. In the end my paltry 18 points was mid table. However my run of playing with competition winners continued (I seem to be a lucky omen in most medals and stablefords at Royal Ascot in recent months) and I marked the card of the winner who scored an impressive 33 points. Naturally he parred every powerplay hole he nominated for net birdie and six points a pop and was very steady on the others playing the whole of the front nine in just three over par gross (off a handicap of 12). I won't say too much more and reveal the winner's name as there will be a full write up in the next edition of Golf Monthly and I'm sure they will do the day a lot more justice than I can.

Even after we had all finished, the good times didn't stop rolling and we were treated to a burger and chips and a bottle of beer free of charge too which was an ideal way of rounding the day off. Mike Harris, Golf Monthly's editor and Peter McEvoy were on hand to present the winners with their prizes before everyone set off home.

I have to say it was without question one of the greatest days of golf ever. I really enjoyed the format, although my only point would be it helps to have played the course before so you know which holes really offer the best opportunities and which black flags should be avoided. In hindsight I'd have taken one of my powerplays on the 8th had I known how easily it played and where the flag was located. However this is just a minor quibble. It really is an ideal event for golf clubs to host. Royal Ascot hold a nine hole social event most months during the Summer and this would be perfect and I've already sent an e-mail to the club suggesting this with a link to the Powerplay website so they can get more information.

I'd like to thank Mike Harris, the Golf Monthly staff, Powerplay, and the Grove for the immense generosity and time in making this such a memorable event that I think will live long in the memory of all of those who were lucky enough to enjoy the day. A glorious concept played on a glorious course with glorious weather. It really doesn't get any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...