Tuesday 13 April 2010

What to do next?

I put my tale of sorrow and despair out onto the Golf Monthly Forum (well worth checking out for all things golf at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk) and the general consensus is to have a break from playing and practicing. Easier said than done I'm afraid as I really am a golfaholic but I can see wisdom in their words. I've a couple of games booked, including a trip to Sand Martins in Wokingham which I've been looking forward too for a while and playing with my old mucker Hywel Lloyd. I've also got a 9.00am tee time in the medal on Saturday. I'll honour my commitment to the competition and see if either of these two rounds gets my golfing juices flowing again.

What to do if not though? I've already gone backwards in terms of Homer's odyssey and the quest for single figures. My recent injury hasn't helped and the course beginning to come into full bloom will make it even harder to leave the clubs at home and not submit to the call of the practice ground or putting green. I still think the game is in there to get down. That's the good news. The new more determined Homer I spoke about at the start of this adventure (what do you mean you didn't read it? - get with the programme) is winning as my recent slump would have seen the head drop and things degenerate into a complete pit of doom, despondency and sad to say, pique on the course. I'm trying to remain patient and wait for the odd good shot although my limits of endurance do feel severely tested at times. The second part of my quest (bet you wish you'd read the opening blog now!) will be much harder to achieve. It doesn't mean I've given up on it but have become more realistic in the fact that you can't get one without the other in terms of a good swing and the rewards that could bring.

Thanks to all the GM guys who bothered to post their thoughts. It may be that the Royal Ascot members will be seeing less of "pro" for a little while but rest assured when I come back I'll be hungrier and more determined than ever. If I do well over the weekend it will all have been some macabre dream and we can carry on as normal

1 comment:

  1. Hi Homer,
    the problem is I think you have forgotten how to have fun playing golf. This week I have been going out for 9 holes taking 3 clubs trying to hit all kinds of funny shots. Hook, big slices, drivers off the floor etc. It's great fun - and who knows maybe I'll need to hit a big hook at the weekend to get around a tree in the medal.

    If you fancy 9 holes just playing around like that let me know.

    Nick Swan
    www.golftribe.com

    ReplyDelete

Small Is Beautiful (And Rather Hard)

Greetings one and all and welcome to another humble blog offering. I want to start by asking a question. If I said par 3 course, what is you...